|April 5, 2007
|As of August 2006, cities and counties that have sanctuary policies include:
Anchorage, AKCurrently there are two statewide policies regarding sanctuary for illegal aliens:
Los Angeles, CA
National City, CA4
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
Sonoma County, CA
Takoma Park, MD
Ann Arbor, MI
Rio Arriba, County, NM
Sante Fe, NM
New York, NY
Marion County, OR
Virginia Beach, VA
- In May 2003, Alaska's state legislature passed a joint resolution prohibiting state agencies from using resources or institutions for the purpose of enforcing federal immigration laws.
- In 1987, Oregon passed a law that prohibits state and local law enforcement agencies from using agency moneys, equipment or personnel for the purpose of detecting or apprehending foreign citizens based on violation of federal immigration law. Oregon law, however, does permit their law enforcement officers to exchange information with federal authorities to verify the immigration status of an individual arrested for criminal offenses.
- "Coalition seeks immigrant sanctuaries; services wouldn't hinge on legal status." Asbury Park Press 1 Mar. 2007.
"Havens for illegals; Advocates recruit 'sanctuary cities'." The Record 1 Mar. 2007.
- "Phoenix residents want to end 'sanctuary' status." Washington Times 28 May 2006.
- "Preparations underway for immigrant march." ABC7 http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=4128549
- "National City named sanctuary city." San Diego Union-Tribune 1 Oct. 2006.
|Posted by BillOReilly.com Staff at 12:13 PM
|Share this entry